Different but not Disadvantaged

Ever felt you are being looked down upon because of one reason or the other?
Ever felt like some people think you don't count?
Have you ever been somewhere someone is looking for a solution and they approached everyone else but you?

Just a week back, there was a small problem where I work. The big boss was not around and so, this urgent problem had no one else to be referred to but the rest of us present at the office. Something funny happened that inspired this post. I discovered, every other person in the office (that knew or did not know about that problem) was approached safe for my humble self. No one seemingly cared whether I had an idea or not. After they'd tried everything and no solution was forthcoming, I just decided to check what they were struggling with. To their amazement, it's an issue I deal with almost every day at school. Within a few minutes, I offered the solution to the problem. I then questioned, why was I not approached in the first place?

I then began the analysis in my head; Could it be because I am only a part timer? Could it be because I am a student and the rest are full time workers? Could it be because I have a different skin colour? I had a lot of "could it bes" in my head. Truth is, all these may be true about me; as in, I may be a part timer, student or different in terms of my skin colour but that doesn't make me disadvantaged; does it?

Are you reading this today and it seem like people just don't see you as 'good enough'? Or it is like whenever recommendations are being made, you are hardly deem fit, not because you have not been doing well but just because you are just 'different'. I am here to encourage you: DO NOT BE MOVED! Whoever is seeing you as disadvantaged is the one missing out on the solution to their problems, not you. Very soon, they will bite their fingers cos they'd come to the realization that they've wasted a lot of time running helter skelter when the solution to their problem is right there with them.

Should everyone around you despise you, do not despise yourself. Should they think you are not good enough, don't join them in such thoughts. Even if they think you are inferior, make no mistake to think the same because you may be different but that doesn't make you inferior. You may have a different skin colour but that doesn't make you any less intelligent. You may have come from a very lowly background, that doesn't make you a pauper at heart. Listen, you are a solutions carrier and you must see yourself that way! In fact, your difference is an evidence you are unique and you have within you unique and uncommon ideas. You may be different but you are not disadvantaged!

Thanks for reading :)

- Le Dynamique Professeur

This entry was posted on 22 November 2011. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

37 Responses to “Different but not Disadvantaged”

  1. Wow! I was waiting for a word and viola, here it is. "I am different and not disadvantaged!" The challenge can be very enormous you know, been in a place where people around do not see you as important... Hmmm... I would take you advice to heart and I would not see myself that way. God bless you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TRUE TALK!
     MIND BLOWING!!
    THOT PROVOKING POST!!!
    I particularly liked this statement-"....whoever is seeing me as disadvantaged is the one missing out on the solutions to their problems, not me...."
    "I MAY BE DIFFERENT BUT I AM NOT DISADVANTAGED"- this is my word for the now.
    Thanks for sharing, LDP...

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRUE TALK!
    MIND BLOWING!
    THOT PROVOKING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Different but not disadvantaged" I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo that you helped out though you were not asked. I think it is more crippling when we choose to hide our knowledge under a bushel cause we are miffed that no-one asked us..when we could have used the opportunity to 'shine'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Memories...

    You are right on point with this post... it doesnt matter what people around are saying around you, what matters is what you think of you.
     
    Reminds me of the song 'Learning to love yourself...it is the greatest love of all'

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless you. something close happened to a friend and she's been beating herself up about it. Dealt a blow to her self esteem and i've been trying to talk her out of it. this  wuld def help. now forwarding ur link to her. thanx again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes please... every nw and then, someone needs to hear something like this to cheer and inspire them. I hope your friend will find inspiration in these words. Thanks Sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the word ma. Should we fail to love ourselves insecurities and low self esteem won't let us live life to the fullest. Cheers Sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I totally agree... but you know in some cases, when you are not called, courtesy demands one waits for his turn. U get?
    Thanks Ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes o.. that's the truth cos that person is indirectly missing out on God's deposition in my life. Blessings to you Sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen sir! Eventually, they will come to understand we are there for a purpose and that purpose might just explicate the inevitability of our potentials. Thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bless you LDP....you are such an inspiration to me

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually felt a bit this way sometime this week and reading this post and the comments are just timely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At one point or the other, i have felt left out, yet i was able to deliver but I've learnt not beat myself about it. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are welcome Sis. Thank you too for taking time to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praise God. Happy you were able to draw something out of the post, Mike. Thanks bro.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have definitely felt left out before and I have learnt not to think much of it. Nice read

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked your reaction to the situation at work and it really illustrates your point about being different, but not disadvantaged.  I am not sure I would have helped if it was me sha ... I for show dem pepper small ... LOL! But I get your point.  At the end of the day, the person who ignored or looked down on your input is the one cutting his nose to spite his face. 

    ReplyDelete
  20. I go through this everyday at work. I have the "Could it be" in my head but ready I have gotten over that and just do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very good. I'm different but not disadvantaged.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well said...

    This is what I try to tell other people... U have to believe in yourself in EVERYTHING even when other doubts you or do not see your advantage..

    Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hahhaa... i wan show dem pepper before too but I just say make I even check wetin dey make dem sweat sef. lol. Thank you very much Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Eventually one has to get over it, if not, one would make one's mark in that kind of environment. Blessings Larrah :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Someone said, "if you dont believe in yourself, how do you expect others to believe in you?" | Thank you, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  26. every people has something different like you
    just one should have to try
    thanx

    ReplyDelete
  27. every people has something different like you
    just one should have to try
    thanx

    ReplyDelete

© Samuel Ekundayo | Le Dynamique Professeur 2012. Powered by Blogger.